Saturday, March 10, 2007

Community

The dictionary defines community as:

1. A group of people living in the same locality and under the same government.

2. A group of people having common interests.

3. Sharing, participation, and fellowship.

I am so thankful to be a part of the community of knitbloggers, sock knitters and just plain knitting enthusiasts. Unless you've been living in seclusion, you'll have heard about the tornado that killed eight high school students in my home city of Enterprise, AL. It is difficult to describe the devastation in my town. There simply are no words. Every time I see it, I feel the same sense of shock and loss. It's as if I'm seeing for the first time.

The emails I received from my knitting friends and swap pals touched and comforted me so much. I felt so much support and understanding from everyone and I wanted to thank everyone who sent emails asking if me and my family were okay and for the many prayers said on behalf of my family and my community.

We were very lucky. There was no damage to my home and both of my children are safe and well. This is not so for so many families and Enterprise will need your prayers for some time to come. I've been fortunate enough to be able to volunteer my time to assist in debris cleanup. I'm sure I got much more out of it that the people I was helping. It feels good to help someone -- to be an active member of your community. I am amazed and proud of the incredible number of people -- the helpers -- who are working so hard to rebuild Enterprise and heal our community.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Quotation of the Day
Free website tools provided by The Free Dictionary