Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Composting


The gardening bug has really taken a large bite out of me. I have spent countless hours researching different plants and their special needs such as soil conditions, sunlight, and water. I’ve also spent time learning about organic pest control, weeds, ground cover, soil preparation, container gardening, and composting.

The composting thing really interests me. I want to make my own compost, my own dirt full of nutritious good stuff for my plants. There are a lot of composters to choose from costing anywhere from $69.99 to $399 and up. I’m not prepared to invest that much money into composting at this time. I need to get my feet wet first – make sure it works. So, I looked at the design features of each model and set out to make my own. I thought of building one with wood and some sort of wire but, frankly, this idea seemed like too much to undertake right now. After all, I had just built a 3 X 4 square using two pieces of 2 X 6 X 8 lumber to make my raised bed. The lumber was obtained from a pile my father keeps by his shed from when the porch blew off the house. So, it was free. I wanted to find something free or as close to free as possible.

To that end, I purchased a 32 gallon trash can for $12.98 at Lowes. The material is something similar to what you see with those Rubbermaid containers (i.e. easy to drill holes in). I brought it home and assembled the necessary tools for the job – an electric knife and a drill. I’m particularly gifted in the art of deconstruction. So, I had no trouble at all. I cut out the bottom and drilled holes in the side and in the lid. It’s perfect if I do say so myself.






It is now full of compost including a layer of cardboard, grass cuttings, produce and other kitchen waste (no meat, fat or oil of any kind) and hay. Yesterday afternoon I went out to check the garden. Everything is doing well – everything is still alive. I believe I may be somewhat gifted in the gardening arts. The compost pile is steaming. There is condensation on the lid much like when you are simmering something on the stove. And, I can feel the heat generated by the compost doing its' work. This is so exciting. I gave it a little stir to keep things cooking and went inside for the evening.

1 Comments:

At 9:50 AM, Blogger Crazy For Yarn In Alabama said...

You are a composting GENIUS!!! I wouldn't have thought to create a compost bin out of a garbage can!! GREAT job!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Quotation of the Day
Free website tools provided by The Free Dictionary