Friday, July 03, 2009

Gardening


Clearly, there is something wrong with me because I've been gardening. I've been spending time outside in the HOT sun trying to make things grow. It's difficult to pinpoint exactly when this latest compulsion overtook me. But, I think it was approximately two weeks ago and I have no idea what triggered this desire to make food. I don't even like vegetables.

I have two basil plants in each of the front corners. Why did I not know how delightful basil smells? I want to go lay down beside it and just breathe it in -- strange. I have a classic tomato plant, one that will look like the kind people put on their hamburgers, and a roma tomato plant. I've got nine marigolds to naturally deter pests and because they're pretty. There are also two red pepper plants one in the center front and one in the center back. And, three beans!! I am so absolutely delighted that I made a bean. Well, the beginnings of a bean plant anyway. This is something of a miracle considering Coal, the most amazing dog in the world, dug out the entire center portion of my little garden. He will tilling the soil -- just trying to be helpful. He was very proud of his work. And, I was not angry with him because he was simply doing what dogs do - DIG. The garden is now protected by a fence of sorts.


Isn't this little baby bean too cute? He has two siblings. I hope they make at least one green bean. I may even eat it myself.


My first harvest -- fresh basil. What can I cook using basil?

3 Comments:

At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anything Italian. I make pesto and put fresh tomatoes in it. Caprese salad with fresh mozzerella and basil. Bruschetta...

 
At 11:43 AM, Blogger Crazy For Yarn In Alabama said...

What a GREAT garden! I am insanely jealous as I do not have one this year!!

Looks like you are off to an awesome start and can't wait to watch the progress!!

YUM......BASIL!!!

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Kathy R said...

Your basil is amazing! I pay good money for the stuff at the store.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Quotation of the Day
Free website tools provided by The Free Dictionary